Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Why do I feel like elections are an elective?

Another election day and I didn't vote. My bad. I know all the reasons why I should. I do care about some issues and even did a little research on candidates.

So why didn't I actually fill out my ballot and send it in?

I've thought a lot about this. I'm still trying to come to conclusions that aren't all about being lazy and apathetic. Is this my brain on atrophy?

As a public relations practicioner, I have a relatively good idea of how candidates and issues are packaged for public consumption. And I guess I feel like the package is empty. The people running for office are supposed to represent me, and I don't feel like the majority of candidates have a clear picture of how to represent themselves. I keep wishing/hoping for integrity. Or make that "inte-gritty" because standing up for what you really believe -- instead of saying what you think everyone wants to hear -- is sweaty, dirty, roll-up-your sleeves work.

And all of this is likely my fault. I'm a part of the cultural collective that wants it simple. That's it, give me a slogan. Don't give me the details; that's waaaay too difficult. Go ahead, Mr/Ms Politicician: make it easy for me to have an opinion without really thinking about how it affects my neighbor next door, or my fellow human being on the other side of the world, or my great-great-great grandchild.

Oh, yeah. We did this to ourselves.

So no conclusions today. But I'm going to keep working on this and try really, really hard to get back in the habit of voting before we elect our next president.

2 comments:

Libby said...

You and Ali are just leaving me in the dust iwth your blogs! You are a talented and insightful writer, so I'll look forward to future entries. On the election issue, we did vote, but I found it a huge effort to try to be an informed voter. Politics frustrate me.

Anonymous said...

I love it! Elections are unashamedly packaged for the public and i think that it is high time for a politician who runs without millions of dollars in their pocket. Or one who realizes that the majority of America is stuck in the middle of most issues. You are an amazing writer! i am inspired! LOVE YOU!